RELAX is designed to support gastrointestinal (GI) regularity and complement dietary fiber intake. Magnesium citrate is present to support muscle relaxation and bowel elimination. Cape Aloe is added to support normal GI transit time and stool bulk. Triphala, a balanced blend of astringent fruits used extensively in Ayurveda, is present to support all phases of digestion, assimilation, and elimination. Gastrointestinal regularity in turn plays a fundamental role in detoxification, providing a major route for elimination of toxins.*
The ingredients in RELAX are designed to support gastrointestinal regularity:
Magnesium citrate, the type of magnesium in RELAX, is used for colonoscopy preparation. Chosen for its promotion of muscle relaxation and effective elimination of feces through the bowel, magnesium citrate is also highly bioavailable. It should be noted that particular forms of magnesium may be absorbed differently. As a macromineral, magnesium supports cell, tissue, and organ function and participates in over 300 metabolic reactions in the body. This essential mineral plays a pivotal role in energy-producing reactions, detoxification, muscle and nerve function, and skeletal structure.[2,3] Magnesium can readily become depleted due to inadequate intake, poor absorption, excessive losses, and druginduced nutrient depletions.*
Cape Aloe (Aloe ferox)
Cape Aloe has a long history of use in South Africa and continues to be closely studied for its valuable attributes, specifically how it supports GI regularity. The herb is ideally used in the short term to support the elimination of feces and subsequently the elimination of toxins. Recent research suggests that Cape Aloe supports gastrointestinal regularity and is well tolerated. Administration of the herb in animals showed no negative toxicological effects at doses of up to 200 mg/kg body weight over a seven-day period.*
Triphala comprises three sour, astringent fruits: Emblica officinalis (amla), Terminalia belerica (behada), and Terminalia chebula (harada). This tannin-rich herbal compound has been used traditionally for supporting digestion, assimilation, and elimination. Triphala is considered to be a cornerstone of the art and practice of Ayurveda, and it is used throughout India in herbal products. Modern-day clinical trials have confirmed the benefits of traditional uses of triphala, especially gastrointestinal support. Researchers indicated that triphala positively supports appetite, GI health, and rejuvenation.* RELAX is intended for short-term use only and should never be consumed during pregnancy. Follow directions and label cautions carefully
1. Walker AF, Marakis G, Christie S, et al. Mg citrate found more bioavailable than other Mg preparations in a randomised, double-blind study. Magnes Res. 2003 Sep; 16(3):183-91. [PMID: 14596323]
2. Laires MJ, Monteiro CP, Bicho M. Role of cellular magnesium in health and human disease. Front Biosci. 2004 Jan 1;9:262-76. [PMID: 14766364]
3. Krinsky DL, LaValle JB, Hawkins EB, et al. Natural Therapeutics Pocket Guide, 2nd ed. Hudson, OH: Lexi-Comp; 2003.
4. Magwa ML, Gundidza M, Coopoosamy RM, et al. Chemical composition of volatile constituents from the leaves of Aloe ferox. Afr J Biotechnol. 2006 Sept;5(18):1652-1654.
5. Wintola OA, Sunmonu TO, Afolayan AJ. Toxicological evaluation of aqueous extract of Aloe ferox Mill. in loperamide-induced constipated rats. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2011 May;30(5):425-31. [PMID: 20498033]
6. Jagetia GC, Baliga MS, Malagi KJ, et al. The evaluation of the radioprotective effect of Triphala (an ayurvedic rejuvenating drug) in the mice exposed to gamma-radiation. Phytomedicine. 2002 Mar;9(2):99-108. [PMID: 11995956]
7. Mukherjee PK, Rai S, Bhattacharyya S, et al. Clinical study of “triphala” – a well-known phytomedicine from India. Iranian J Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Jan;5(1):51-54. http://www.bioline.org.br/request?pt06008. Accessed June 18, 2012.
Serving Size: 2 Capsules Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 200 mg 48%
Triphala Extract (Emblica officinalis)(fruit), (Terminalia chebula) (fruit), (Terminalia belerica)(fruit)(45% tannins) 250 mg **
Cape Aloe (Aloe ferox)(leaf) 50 mg **
** Daily Value not established.
Other Ingredients: HPMC (capsule), stearic acid, magnesium stearate, silica, and medium-chain triglyceride oil.
DIRECTIONS: Take one to two capsules at bedtime with 8 oz of water, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Individuals taking medication should discuss potential interactions with their healthcare practitioner. Do not use if tamper seal is damaged.
DOES NOT CONTAIN: Wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, ingredients derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, or artificial preservatives.
CAUTIONS: DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR NURSING. Discontinue use if diarrhea or abdominal pain develops. Intended for occasional support of bowel movements. STORAGE: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place out of reach of children
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.